Amaretti Cookie Recipe
2 1/2 cups of almond flour -or- 3 cups of blanched slivered almonds, finely ground
1 1/4 cup of powdered sugar
3 egg whites
1/2 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of almond extract
Extra powdered sugar for dusting
1. Preheat oven to 300°F and line baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. Mix the almond flour and sugar (food processor works best - pulse - you don't want to make almond paste!) Add vanilla and almond extract and pulse for a few more seconds.
3. Beat egg whites in a separate bowl until stiff.
4. Mix stiff egg whites with almond-sugar-extract mixture until you have smooth dough (fold-in)
5. Using a ice cream/cookie scoop or two spoons, dollop dough onto lined baking pan and dust with sugar.
6. Bake at 300°F for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
Cool before serving.
A little chewy at first, but they will be crispy after a day or two. Store in a cool, dry place.